Thursday, October 15, 2009

Blog Action Day 2009: Climate Change

It's BAD today! It's an annual event to unite bloggers of the world and spread the word and information on important issues. This year it is Climate Change. My knowledge is limited on this but I do know GREEN IS GOOD! One of the things I loved about Half Price Books is their B(eco)me campaign to encourage recycling, reducing, but most importantly REUSING! It sounds cheap, but buying second hand whatever it might be clothes, books, cars, home ware, etc. is good for the environment! (click on the image to go to the BAD web page for more knowledgeable information)



So here are the few things I try to do to help the Earth and Climate Change
-I have a plethora of reusable water bottles, so I don't have to buy plastic ones unless I'm in a pinch.
-I'm a vegetarian! Good for me and good for the environment because we aren't wasting all that grain and energy to feed animals that end up on your plate.
-Take Public Transportation or walk
-Turn off the lights when I'm not in a room (Granted this is pretty easy in such a small apartment)
-Unplug electronics (I'm trying to get better at this by turning off my computer but it's hard)
-I use my own grocery bags and if I do get plastic or paper bags from stores I reuse them for Cat's poop.
-I try to buy second hand when I can and I have to stop buying so many unnecessary clothes because they are going to end up in the landfill same day.
-Grad school requires a lot of reading and printing off of articles so I try to print only what I need and always using both sides of the paper to print.

What I wish I could do
-Recycle in my apartment but the cute little corrupt political machine makes that hard in the Windy City
-Compost
-Have a garden, I would love to have a window garden but I get no sunlight in my apartment.
-Be a vegan but no I can't part with my cheese (which is pretty selfish.)

I am sure that I missing a ton but what do you do?

xo
Amber

3 comments:

Don said...

Hmmmm. We do try.

We drive a hybrid and a Smart, both get about 40 mpg. Not as good as public transportation, but it's just not available for where we go.
We do compost and recycle all of our plastic, glass, papaer and metal.
We must have 8 reusable grocery bags. Does it detract to have more than you need?
We installed new highly efficient heating and air conditioning this year and keep our temps in the 60's in winter and the high 70's in summer.
We are replacing all of our incandecant bulb with compact fluorescent when the incandecant ones burn out.
We plant lots of tress that eat carbondioxide.
We put all new windows in our house that are air tight and reflect uv.
Not sure what else we can do.

Brandy said...

I drive an accord.
We byob to the grocery store.
We recycle.
We zeroscaped our backyard and are going to do the same to the front.
We open the windows when the temp permits it.

Lucas said...

I drive a Humvee. I looked for a diesel one but they weren't available. I buy all my food in stryofoam containers which I chuck out the window of my Hummer when I've only finished half of the food. I run the heat and the air conditioning both with all the windows in the house open. Oh yeah, and I never turn out the lights and I throw my clothes away after use instead of washing them. But if I did wash them, I'd wash one article of clothing at a time in hot water. Lots and lots of hot water.

;) Sorry, couldn't resist.