Sunday, June 8, 2008

Settling In

Hi Folks, I have been here in Chicago for almost a month and I am settling in to my new city. Not a lot of has been going around here, just the usual. Like I mentioned in my last blog I am baby-sitting for a family I met through the Cohen’s. And so far I am having so much fun with their toddler, Nora, and learning a lot about newborns with Astor, their one month old. They live in a neighborhood west of the city so I take the bus to their house a few days a week and help out their mom, Jen. I am also working at the restaurant but I am hoping to find something else more in sync with who I am. (Unfortunately while they were shooting the movie I didn’t get to see Johnny Depp or Christian Bale, just a bunch of extras and old cars.)

I haven’t spending all my time working, though, I’ve been catching up with friends who live in the city. One of the draws of Chicago was that so many of my friends from home and from Miami live here, so it has been very nice seeing all of them. Last weekend I went to Jen’s house for a BBQ to help celebrate her roommate finishing the MCAT, and later that night I went out with a few AOIIs from Miami. I’ve also taken advantage of living a block from the shore, and made a few trips to the beach to enjoy the sun because it’s been hot here in the Windy City. I was also looking at different apartments where I could have a dog but have decided to stay in my apartment I have now for various reasons.

Out with AOIIs from Miami!

Me and Sarah. (Sarah and I were on exec at Miami, and she is such a great friend!)

I also had a visitor come visit! Jason came to visit on Saturday for the day. He rode up on the overnight Megabus (a super cheap way to make it between Cincinnati and Chicago and the rest of the Midwest,) so he got here in the morning in time for breakfast at Ann Sather’s a local favorite with the best cinnamon rolls and omelets. Afterwards, we spent the afternoon by the lake at the dog beach watching all the goings on, watched the boats out on the water and then went down to a grassy part while Jason napped, I read. We left just as the rain started coming down and got trenched. For dinner, Connie and John (Jason’s parents) met us and went for pizza before the three of them went up to Wisconsin for Jason’s cousin’s graduation from high school.

That’s all for now, I’ll see many of you this week when I am home for Matthew and Sharon’s Cincinnati Elopement Celebration (say that three times fast!)

xoxo

Amber

2 comments:

Lucas said...

Looks like you are making yourself at home Amber! I hope to maybe see you in Cinci this weekend if I can make it! :) Keep up the blogging! You're doing great!

Don said...

What a treat- to get home to San Fran and my own computer and get caught up on the blogs- my special connection to family. I loved seeing the pictures of you and your friends. I've learned how to enlarge the pic by clicking on it- so now I can get up close and personal. Love you! MOM